Friday, 27 June 2014

World War ll Garden At Chatsworth

We visited Chatsworth House this week and saw the lovely little World War 11 garden.

Dig For Victory Garden
It was about the size of an average family garden in Britain at that time and the number of vegetables which were grown in such a small space was remarkable.
lettuce, dwarf beans, broccoli, aparagas


It must have taken a lot of work but the campaign enabled householders to contribute to the war effort by helping feed the nation.  As it said in the caption below. "Potatoes and beans are munitions of war........"




and this.......

 Clever planting meant that on one average plot a huge variety of vegetables could be grown.  There was not too much of any one thing so the family would not plenty of variety.and there would be no glut of any one vegetable
 
 
 
 
 
 
There were words of wisdom about the need for flowers in time of hardship..........
 
 suggesting that flowers should be incorporated......
and, finally, words of hope....



 The result was stunning!  

 
 
Glenda
 
 
 
 
Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?

8 comments:

Mike Biles said...

Loved it!

Stephanie Robinson said...

It's great there isn't it? We went back at the start of May and it's lovely to see how it's growing now - thanks!

Mammasaurus said...

I love this so much! The not growing too much of one thing, practical aspect - and the love of flowers to cheer one up!
Just brilliant - thanks for sharing - so interesting x

Honey Tallulah said...

It looks like a lovely place to visit. #HDYGG x

Jibber JabberUK said...

I haven't been to Chatsworth for some time now. I really think all of us should try to grow some of our own food these days. Such a relevant post for an idea over 70 years old!

Michelle at Bod for tea said...

What an interesting visit that must have been. I'm not a gardener myself (not so much green fingered as poisoned thumb-ed) and I'm always envious of people that can actually grow something they can eat. During the war it wasn't a nice-to-have but a necessity and the words on those slates really brings that home. Lovely post x

Mari's World said...

I'm a rubbish gardener but posts like this inspire me to get better.
What a lovely place to visit, I shall add it to my list

Happy Homebird said...

My Nana tell me about when her parents garden was all potatoes and beans. I find it fascinating and I feel like I've carried it on in my little allotment plot. Must get to Chatsworth for a look around soon.